Prepared Childbirth Educator’s certification examinations are created with the guidance of test development specialists and content expert panels representing their specialty area. PCE also conducts periodic role delineation studies to analyze the professional skills and abilities required within each specific certification. All PCE certifications are on the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) inclusion list of accepted national certifications regarding Magnet status.
The mission of the Childbirth Educator Certification (CCE) is to recognize excellence in the specialty role of the nurse childbirth educator.
The goal of the CCE certification is to:
- recognize the specialized knowledge, skills and abilities of the nurse childbirth educator
- strengthen the core competencies of the nurse childbirth educator
- distinguish childbirth education as a specialty area within the nursing profession
- contribute to nurse childbirth educator’s professional development
- Licensure: a currently active nurse license in the United States or its territories
- Experience: at least 1 year of teaching childbirth education classes or have taken a training on teaching childbirth education
Certification Examination Fees
If you have taken PCE’s prep course within the past 3 years, you are eligible for a discounted exam rate of $150.00 (Email PCEexam@childbirtheducation.org for a registration form with your discounted rate).
If taking the Examination ONLY* (if taking the exam without the prep course): $450.00
*Must meet experience requirements prior to taking the examination:
Please submit Eligibility Verification form.
PCE General Testing and Recertification Handbook
Click here to download.
Childbirth Educator Certification Exam Outline and Study Resource List
Click Here to download.
- If you have completed the prep course within the past 3 years and are eligible for the discounted exam rates, please email PCEexam@childbirtheducation.org for an exam registration form listing the discounted exam rates.
Then, email completed registration form and payment to PCEexam@childbirtheducation.org.
- If you wish to take the Certification Exam Only, without a prep course, Click Here to go to the Off-Site Exam Registration page & register on-line.
UPDATE: Off-Site examination registration opens on Monday, August 15th.
Please see link below for more information about the off-site exam process.