Independent Study for Experienced Childbirth Educators
*Purchase of the Independent Study Course does not include the Certification Examination. The Certification Exam is a separate optional purchase – more information below*
Must have been teaching Childbirth Education for at least one year OR must have at least one year labor and delivery experience. Materials will not be shipped until experience verification form and observation form is received in the PCE office. Email them to PCE@childbirtheducation.org.
Course Requirements to receive CE credit:
- must complete required readings (requires 3 textbook purchases):
- Lucas, R. (2010). Energize your training: creative techniques to engage learners. Alexandria, VA: ASTD Press.
- Rice-Simpson, K., Creehan, P., O’Brien-Abel, N., Roth, C., Rohan, A. (2020). AWHONN perinatal nursing (5th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins.
- Simkin, P., Whalley, J., Keppler, A., Durham, J. & Bolding, A. (2018). Pregnancy, childbirth and the newborn: the complete guide (5th ed., revised). New York, NY: Hachette Books.
- must view must view videos provided by PCE
- must complete study modules within 6 months of receiving them
- must complete Experience Form – Click Here to download
- must observe one full series of childbirth classes and complete Observation Form – Click Here to download
PCE supplies the PCE program manual, videos and study modules; participants must provide their own books. Upon the completion and return of study modules to PCE, candidates will receive 16 contact hours and nurses will be eligible to take the PCE childbirth educator certification examination.
This program covers relevant topics such as:
- Historical background of childbirth education
- Pain management theories
- Coping techniques including various relaxation methods, breathing patterns, and comfort measures
- Prenatal exercises
- AWHONN’s second stage guidelines
- Role of the labor support person
- Teaching strategies
- Adult learning theory applied to childbirth education
- Curriculum development
Continuing Education Credit
Successful candidates receive 16 contact hours. “Provider is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP 13154 for 16 contact hours.”
The independent study prep course is $325.00 which includes program book and flash drive with videos and study modules. Participants must provide their own textbooks.
Optional Certification Examination Information: The purchase of the Independent Study Course does not include the Certification Examination. Off-Site certification exams can be taken in your area with your own proctor. Once you complete the Independent Study course by submitting your completed Study Modules to PCE, you will be emailed an exam registration form with a discounted exam rate of $150.00. You are not eligible for this rate until you complete the Independent Study program. For more information on the examination such as eligibility requirements, Click Here.
No refund issued after course material shipped.
Registration: Add to cart at the bottom of this page to purchase online & then email your completed observation & eligibility verification forms to PCE@childbirtheducation.org
OR: Click Here to download a registration form to register by mail or email.
Mail completed registration form, payment, observation & eligibility forms to:
Prepared Childbirth Educators, Inc., PO Box 99, Fogelsville, PA 18051 OR email completed registration form, payment, observation & eligibility to PCE@childbirtheducation.org.
Completed purchase (either online purchase or purchase with registration form – do not submit a registration form if you have purchased online as it risks double charges), observation & eligibility forms must be all be received for your order to be processed.