Independent Study for Experienced Childbirth Educators
Due to a mandate made by the Governor of Pennsylvania (where the PCE offices are located) on March 16th, that all non-essential business MUST close for three weeks – the PCE offices are currently closed.
All orders placed during this time will be fulfilled after the office is cleared to re-open.
Stay well and thank you for your patience and understanding during this unprecedented time.
Must have been teaching Childbirth Education for at least one year OR must have at least one year labor and delivery experience. Materials will not be shipped until experience verification form and observation form is received in the PCE office. Email them to PCE@childbirtheducation.org.
Course Requirements to receive CE credit:
- must complete required readings (requires 3 textbook purchases):
- Lucas, R. (2010). Energize your training: creative techniques to engage learners. Alexandria, VA: ASTD Press.
- Rice-Simpson, K. & Creehan, P. (2013). AWHONN perinatal nursing (4th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins.
- Simkin, P., Whalley, J., Keppler, A., Durham, J. & Bolding, A. (2016). Pregnancy, childbirth and the newborn: the complete guide (5th ed.). New York, NY: Meadowbrook Press.
- must view must view videos provided by PCE
- must complete study modules within 6 months of receiving them
- must complete Experience Form – click here to download
- must observe one full series of childbirth classes and complete Observation Form – click here to download
PCE supplies the PCE program manual, videos and study modules; participants must provide their own books. Upon the completion and return of study modules to PCE, candidates will receive 16 contact hours and nurses will be eligible to take the PCE childbirth educator certification examination.
This program covers relevant topics such as:
- Historical background of childbirth education
- Pain management theories
- Coping techniques including various relaxation methods, breathing patterns, and comfort measures
- Prenatal exercises
- AWHONN’s second stage guidelines
- Role of the labor support person
- Teaching strategies
- Adult learning theory applied to childbirth education
- Curriculum development
Continuing Education Credit
Successful candidates receive 16 contact hours. “Provider is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP 13154 for 16 contact hours.”
The independent study prep course is $325.00 which includes program book and flash drive with videos and study modules. Participants must provide their own textbooks.
Please note: Prep course does not include certification exam.
Certification exams can be taken in your area with your own proctor.
Click here for Certification Examination information and fees.
Refunds and Cancellations
No refund issued after course material sent.
Registration – Completed registration forms, payment, observation form and experience verification form must be submitted together in order to be processed.
Click here to download a registration form to register by mail.
Mail completed registration, observation, experience verification forms and payment to: PCE, PO Box 99, Fogelsville, PA 18051
Or email completed registration, observation, experience verification forms and payment to PCE@childbirtheducation.org.
*If you have never taught a childbirth education class, we strongly recommend you attend PCE’s on-site Childbirth Educator Certification Prep Course instead of opting for an Independent Study.