Independent Study Breastfeeding Counselor Prep Course: “Breastfeeding- Beyond the Basics”
*Purchase of the Independent Study Course does not include the Certification Examination. The Certification Exam is a separate optional purchase – more information below*
Please note, this is not an online course – physical course materials are mailed to your entered shipping address.
- Working with lactating women
- Interested in obtaining accurate, evidence-based and current information about lactation management
- Preparing to become a board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC)
- Preparing to become a PCE certified breastfeeding counselor (CBC)
Course Purchase includes the below listed items:
- PCE Prep Course Manual
- USB Drive that includes instructional videos & PCE Program Study Modules
- The Study Modules are required to be completed and submitted to PCE to mark your completion of the Independent Study Prep Course.
- An access code for a digital copy of Navigate 2 TestPrep for “Breastfeeding and Human Lactation, 6th ed.” *Please note: This does not include the the aforemented book, only the TestPrep – for details on making the optional book purchase, please see below.
- This access code expires after 365 days of your first online log in.
- Navigate 2 TestPrep helps you prepare by offering practice and simulated tests for each category that mimic the actual exam, detailed rationales, and data dashboards.
Optional Additional Purchase (not included in the Prep Course purchase): “Breastfeeding and Human Lactation, 6th ed.” (2019).
This course follows the Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative outline and covers relevant, evidence-based topics such as:
- The role of the healthcare professional
- Anatomy and physiology of the breast
- Latch on and suck assessment
- Guidelines for the first week
- Nutritional needs of the nursing dyad
- Management of common problems
- Special needs such as prematurity, late preterm, multiples, cleft lip/palate, neurological problems, relactation
- Lactation aids
- Supporting and empowering women and their infants
To Receive CE Credit:
- Must return completed study modules by required due date (your due date will be 6 months from your purchase date)
Continuing Education Credits
As of January 1, 2016, successful candidates receive 19 contact hours. “Provider is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP 13154 for 19 contact hours.”
In order to enroll in this course, candidates must either add this item to their cart using the “Add to Cart: button at the bottom of this page and complete their purchase OR submit a completed registration form along with the program fee.
Please note: Prep course does not include “Breastfeeding and Human Lactation, 6th edition”.
Optional Certification Examination Information: The purchase of the Independent Study Course does not include the Certification Examination. Off-Site certification exams can be taken in your area with your own proctor. Once you complete the Independent Study course by submitting your completed Study Modules to PCE, you will be emailed an exam registration form with a discounted exam rate of $150.00. You are not eligible for this rate until you complete the Independent Study program. For more information on the examination such as eligibility requirements, Click here
No refund issued after course material shipped.
Registration: Add to cart at the bottom of this page to purchase online.
Or: Click Here to download a registration form to register by mail.
Mail completed registration form to:
Prepared Childbirth Educators, Inc., PO Box 99, Fogelsville, PA 18051 OR email completed registration form and payment to PCE@childbirtheducation.org.
If you purchase the independent study online by adding this item to your cart and completing the purchase, do not also send in a registration form as you will be charged twice.