Independent Study Breastfeeding Counselor Prep Course: “Breastfeeding- Beyond the Basics”
- Working with lactating women
- Interested in obtaining accurate, evidence-based and current information about lactation management
- Preparing to become a board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC)
- Preparing to become a PCE certified breastfeeding counselor (CBC)
Course Purchase includes the below listed items:
- PCE Prep Course Manual
- Zip Drive that includes instructional videos & PCE Program Study Modules
- The Study Modules are required to be completed and submitted to PCE to mark your completion of the Independent Study Prep Course.
- A digital access code for Navigate 2 TestPrep for “Breastfeeding and Human Lactation, 6th ed.” *Please note: This does not include the the aforemented book, only the TestPrep – for details on making the optional book purchase, please see below.
- This access code expires after 365 days of your first online log in.
- Navigate 2 TestPrep helps you prepare by offering practice and simulated tests for each category that mimic the actual exam, detailed rationales, and data dashboards.
Optional Additional Purchase (not included in the Prep Course purchase): “Breastfeeding and Human Lactation, 6th ed.” (2019).
This course follows the Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative outline and covers relevant, evidence-based topics such as:
- The role of the healthcare professional
- Anatomy and physiology of the breast
- Latch on and suck assessment
- Guidelines for the first week
- Nutritional needs of the nursing dyad
- Management of common problems
- Special needs such as prematurity, late preterm, multiples, cleft lip/palate, neurological problems, relactation
- Lactation aids
- Supporting and empowering women and their infants
To Receive CE Credit:
- Must return completed study modules by required due date (your due date will be 6 months from your purchase date)
Continuing Education Credits
As of January 1, 2016, successful candidates receive 19 contact hours. “Provider is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP 13154 for 19 contact hours.”
In order to enroll in this course, candidates must either add this item to their cart using the “Add to Cart: button at the bottom of this page and complete their purchase OR submit a completed registration form along with the program fee.
Please note: Prep course does not include “Breastfeeding and Human Lactation, 6th edition” or CBC certification exam.
Certification exams can be taken in your area with your own proctor.
Click here for CBC Certification Examination information and fees.
No refund issued after course material shipped.
Click here to download a registration form to register by mail.
Mail completed registration form to:
Prepared Childbirth Educators, Inc., PO Box 99, Fogelsville, PA 18051
Or email completed registration form and payment to PCE@childbirtheducation.org.
Completed registration forms and payment must be submitted together in order to be processed.